Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Extended desktop at the login screen in ubuntu

I have an ATI Raden dual head at my desktop here at my job. I like to use WindowMaker as my window manager of choice, but since I had upgraded to Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid, WindowMaker is showing some issues regarding the dual monitor setup. WindowMaker follows the login screen (GDM) monitor setup and when I launch a gnome-session, things get messed up.

The first solution which came to my mind is to make gdm aware of the two monitors.

"Googling" around I've found two usefull links:

Following the first section of the first link ("Extended desktop through both monitors") I've wrote my new xorg.conf file:
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "monitor0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "monitor1"
Option "RightOf" "monitor0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "card0"
Driver "radeon" ### EDIT ###
Option "Monitor-DVI-0" "monitor0" ### EDIT ###
Option "Monitor-DVI-1" "monitor1" ### EDIT ###
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "screen0"
Device "card0"
Monitor "monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Virtual 1280 1024 ### EDIT ###
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "default"
Screen "screen0"
EndSection

And everything worked just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment